|Nope... Life isn't fair!
||[Jul. 15th, 2004|10:17 pm]
|||||Matthew Good Band - Sort of a Protest Song||]|
I have a huge rant coming on concerning The newsweek article about the lady who doesn't like piercings and people's reaction to it both here and on livejournal. I'll write it up in a bit- If I still feel like it later. My laptop is in the bag and I don't like writing long things at this pc because it is uncomfortable.<
Awww, fuck it... When I have something to say, I have something to say:
Anyone who gets modded and then gets bent out of shape because someone doesn't like it probably should never have gotten modded in the first place.
- Body piercing, tattoos, etc are not currently widely acceptable things to do in most of modern western culture. Now I am not saying that its wrong because clearly I don't think that. Still, body mods are a choice, just as what people wear for the most part is a choice. People should not be rude to you, people should treat you with respect and you should not expect lesser service but people don't have to like you or accept you. If you are not prepared to deal with how you will get treated with mods, then maybe you should think twice before getting them.
- Your mods should be because they are important to YOU. You should not have gotten them to fit into some sort of "scene" or some sort of "community". If you are doing it to "fit in" somewhere or to prove a point, once again you should not have mods. Sure, I am a part of BME but just because I am doesn't mean that because you have a tattoo or a ring in your face, I identify with you, want to help you out, or even like you. Assholes come in all forms, modded and not. I appreciate the art that goes into tattooing and the self expression that goes into piercing but do not mistake that for me being a part of some "team". Fuck that shit. I'm on my own. You are on your own. Be nice, I'll support you. Be a dick, I don't care how many tattoos you have, you can go to hell.
- People don't have to hire you (at least in most states in the US) even if you are the bees knees but you have piercings/tattoos. Is this fair? No. But just as you have a choice to do what you want with your body, people have a choice to have people of a certain appearance working for them. And no, this has nothing to do with "well what about people who are black and people who don't want to hire black people." Last time I checked, no one has a choice what race they are, but they sure as hell have a choice whether or not to put holes in their body or tattoo themselves. Once again, no matter what people want to try to say, tattoos and piercings ARE adornments. They are "extras". If the workplace choses to enforce a dress code of some sort, they have every right to. You have every right to find somewhere else to work. There WILL be somewhere that will take a chance and in turn when you get in a position where YOU can take a chance on someone else, then you do that. By this domino effect, eventually society at large will see that the rings and things have no bearing on ability which brings me to point 3
- Calling up people like old ignorant biddies who write opinion pieces to harass them about how you don't agree with them and you don't like what they say is not only a waste of time an effort but is also just plain wrong. Most of us live in free or at least quasi free societies and we are entitled to freedom of speech. If you want freedom to gage your ears to the point that you can stick cannonballs in them, then old ladies have a right to write about how they don't like it. Now if you want to send a letter to her or her editor, go right ahead but publishing their cell phone and then telling other people to call and say what they think is really harassment and only feeds into the stereotype that modded people are a bunch of ignorant, anti-social, dangerous, morons. Personally with the way politics is crap in the world at the moment, I think your time would be better off spent writing your political representatives, getting involved yourself, or expanding your education. Not calling people up on their mobile. Which takes us to:
- The best revenge is to live well and to beat the odds and what the pundits may say about you. You are a stupid, dirty, tattooed, person. Well guess what- go to school. Get educated. Be the best you that you can be. Education really is the key. Then apply your new education and talents to getting yourself in somewhere good, living the good-life and helping others who are perhaps looking for that "break". That is a constructive use of time.
- Life isn't fair. Only you as an individual can choose to be fair. Deal with it.
So there you have it. There is my two cents. You can hate me all you want for it. I couldn't care less. I just think people should have a little more class and in this exchange it is very clear that neither side has any. I don't think what that lady said in the article was cool by a long shot. I also don't think its cool to post her number on the internet.